Tuesday, April 6, 2010

File organizer


This is another idea I saw a while ago. What do you do with all the papers and information that your kids come home with? Well, I saw this on a blog and decided this was my answer to that question. It's been great! I've used it for at least a year and a half now and it still works. When the kids come home with an important paper I will record whatever information I need to on the calendar and then place it in their file that is located on the kitchen counter. Easy access I think is the key to the success of this. Each child has a file along with many other daily and weekly things I use or need to look up. I have a file for coupons, general information, receipts, online billing, phone numbers etc. Anything that I use within the month that I need quick access to.

I bought the container/box at Target and just found these stripped file folders at Walmart. I have a calendar at the back but don't use it much. I like having one on the wall. After a while the box gets full and I can't fit papers into the kids files anymore so that is when I sit down and go through it and get rid of any papers that are outdated. Usually every 4 months I need go through it and get rid of stuff we don't need anymore. I seperate those things I might want to keep(memorabilia) and put them away. It has been such a great organizational tool in our home. Whenever the kids ask where a certain paper or something is I refer them to their file. They don't ask anymore...they just know to look there. It's taken a year and a half to get them to that point but now they just know when they need something it will be in their file. Though I really don't like having things out on the counter this one has been worth it. It has solved many last minute problems of finding something that was needed.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Oh goodness! I love this too! I am running to the store right now!

T.I.D.S.A.H. said...

I love your ideas Andrea, I WILL be copying this, I have something similar but I will incorporate both. Thanks again. I love your blog.