Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Angels


"God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. " Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

One of my favorite talks from General Conference was the one Elder Holland gave about angels. I've listened to it I think 5 times now. I've thought back many times to the day Wyatt died--actually the few days before he died along with the day he died. I felt and I know Derek felt a strength and incredible peace come upon us. I just thought that it was the Holy Ghost--which I think was a big majority of it but after listening to Elder Hollands talk for the 5th time the thought came to me that we had angels there with us. Ones from my side of the family and ones from Derek's side of the family. They were there to help us and comfort us. Elder Holland said:
"From the beginning down through the dispensations, God has used angels as His emissaries in conveying love and concern for His children....Usually such beings are not seen. Sometimes they are. But seen or unseen they are always near. Sometimes their assignments are very grand and have significance for the whole world. Sometimes the messages are more private. Occasionally the angelic purpose is to warn. But most often it is to comfort, to provide some form of merciful attention, guidance in difficult times."

I think back on those days and wonder how did we do all that we did? How did we watch our little baby take his last breathe? How did we go to the mortuary and pick out his coffin and figure out his funeral? How did we make it through the viewing, funeral and dedication of the grave. Right now in my weakened state I don't know how we did it. The only explanation I have is that we were being lifted up by unseen angels and by the power of the Holy Ghost. That all the prayers that were being said in our behave were being answered by unseen angels. The peace and comfort was so strong...so real!


The next part of his talk I loved as well. He stated it perfectly:
"We are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods... Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind."
How grateful I am for the "seen" angels in my life. The ones that have helped during times of despair. The one's that have lifted me up and helped me get through another day without my Wyatt. For wonderful neighbors that came into our home and filled our fridge with food, cleaned our house and prepared Wyatt's room for our arrival after his death. For all the meals, cards, presents, flowers, etc. etc. I could go on and on with all the kindnesses that people showed to us. How grateful I am for the love we felt from family and friends and the love we continue to feel from so many. How grateful I am for the loving and supportive people that I've meet online. I'm especially grateful for the angelic husband that I have that is so patient and loving to me. How grateful I am for each and every angel that has touched my life--those seen and unseen.

11 comments:

Bridget said...

This was one of the few talks that I was able to hear and process from conference. There have been so many angels surrounding me and my family as we grieve the loss of our son. I love these angels with all my heart. They did things for me that I wasn't able to or didn't have time to do.

Natalie said...

You have been an angel in my life so many times. I am so grateful for your kindness and example to me! I pray that Heavenly Father with bless you with the comfort of more angels in the time ahead. I know he loves you so much. I love you too!

Marc and Megan said...

Andrea, this was one of my very favorite talks from conference, too. I was sobbing through the entire talk, recognizing how blessed we've been with the help of so many angels, seen and unseen. I want you to know that I've definitely felt like you were an answer to my prayers. Thank you so much for reaching out to me in those early weeks that were so dark and so confusing. I'm forever grateful for you.

Jenna said...

I still pray often for you and your family. I hope you feel love and comfort and peace!!! Your kids are too cute!

Melissa said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now but just haven't commented. I thought I would comment on. I really enjoyed Elder Holland's talk as well and have listened to it a few times now. I'm excited to read it in the Ensign now. As well as you, I am so grateful for my angels here on Earth and the ones that have pasted on. I was so grateful for this talk. A friend of mine and I had just talked about angels a couple weeks before this so it was good to hear it again. Angels are so amazing and come from everywhere. Thanks for your inspiration and great insights on your blog.

Larsen said...

Thank you. It really was a lovely talk. Thank you for reminding me.

Neener said...

Thank you for that sweet reminder. I am so glad I met you and your children. You are an angel to us. We think of you often and keep you in our prayers.. Much love from all the McMahons

Amanda and Larry said...

That was an amazing talk! I hope you always get conforted by angels whenever you need it. You are so amazing Andrea! I miss you and your family.

Gedge's said...

I have thought the same thing. How did we pick out the grave stone, survive the funeral??? I am sure with all of the love of our family and friends and a little help from above. I am thinking of you and hope you are having a better week.

Love ya,
Julie

Danielle said...

I haven't commented on your blog before, but I just wanted you to know that how sorry I am for your loss. I really can feel the Spirit when I read your blog and your meaningful words. Your children- all 4 of them- are beautiful. I can't imagine your heartache- but it sure seems like you are doing all you can to give your children a happy life. Keep it up!

Gillian said...

Beautiful. What a wonderful insight--I hadn't thought about that before, that the comfort we can feel in such difficult times can come from our "unseen angels".
This was one of my favorite talks of all time, exactly what I needed too. Thank you for sharing your perspective--and for being one of my earth angels.
Hope this week is a good one.