Thursday, February 10, 2011

Goals for 2011

Goals for 2011

Yes, this post should have been done last month but I seem to be about a month behind. Better late than never is my new motto. This post really is just for me to record a few thoughts about what I want to accomplish this year...you do not need to bore yourself and read it. I've included some great quotes that you may want to check out at the bottom if you would like. You can just skip this first long paragraph.

I have many different goals that I want to try and implement into my life this year. One of my main goals though is to find balance in my life. So, some of the things that I think will help me find that balance is to continue to plan out my day and try to accomplish those things that I need to do each day. I've come up with my own little planner system that has worked really good the past year so I want to continue to use that to help me be organized. I want to make sure the important things get done each day. Scriptures, prayer, exercise, family scriptures, prayer and gratitude journal. I want to do something each day that is creative. I want to create. I feel that that will bring balance to my life. I want to show daily gratitude for the many wonderful blessings in my life. I want to better my self as a wife and mother. I want to try and have more patience with my kids and not raise my voice to them. I want to seek out the positive things they do instead of noticing the bad. I want to enjoy life more and celebrate the accomplishments that I do achieve. I want to become closer to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I want to continue to notice the tender mercies in my life each day. I want to continue to keep Wyatt's memory alive. I want to continue to feel and express my emotions in a way that helps me cope with them. I want to provide the needed emotional, physical and mental support my kids and husband need. I want to learn how to cook better and try some different meals each month...at least 2 new ones a month. I want to continue with the traditions we have established and bring in any new ones that I feel are important. I want to continue to serve and help others. I want to continue to enjoy the blessing of the temple each week and how it balances and puts my life into perspective. I want to learn more about photography and enjoy taking pictures of the beauty around me. I want to continue to make physically activity and priority in my life. I want to work on getting more sleep. I want to continue to enjoy making our house into a home by doing little fun projects around the house. I want to enjoy reading again. I want to read as many fun books as I can this year....I want, I want, I want. But these things really are things I'm hoping I can incorporate into my life more fully. Some are not hard to do. I already to them but some are more challenging. So, I'm hoping this year I can learn to do those more challenging things and make them a bigger part of my life and continue to try and do the easier ones. It's going to be a good year. I'm excited to see the things I'm going to accomplish and do. Hopefully many of these things will bring added joy to my life.


I listened to this awesome talk by Elder Christensen click here if you want to listen to it. Thanks Jennifer for the link. I love this quote about making goals.

"Thoughtful planning and preparation are key to a rewarding future but we do
not live in the future we live in the present...it is day by day that we achieve
our goals, it's one day at a time that we raise and nurture our families. We
endure in faith to the end one day at a time." Elder D. Todd Christopherson
I love that quote! So much wisdom in it. One day at a time...that is my goal.

Here is another great one by N. Eldon Tanner:


"As we reflex on resolving to do better let us determine to discipline
ourselves to carefully select the resolutions we make and consider the purpose
for making them and finally make commitments for keeping them and not letting any obstacle stop us. Let us remind ourselves at the beginning of each day that we
can keep a resolution just for that day as we do this it gets easier and easier
until it becomes a habit."

And then finally a great quote by Delbert L. Stapley:




“Good habits are not acquired simply by making good resolves, though the thought
must precede the action. Good habits are developed in the workshop of our daily
lives. It is not in the great moments of test and trial that character is built.
That is only when it is displayed. The habits that direct our lives and form our
character are fashioned in the often uneventful, commonplace routine of life.
They are acquired by practice.”



So this is my resolve to do a little better one day at a time. I know some days will not be how I hoped or planned and I will continue to struggle with different things but at least I'm trying and I will celebrate the little accomplishments I make each day. The fact that I've learned to live again since Wyatt's death is a miracle in my eyes. I'm learning to find joy in those simple things that surround me and I'm so grateful for this.

1 comment:

Neener said...

What a wonderful post. I admire you so much, you bring much inspiration into so many lives. Thank you for being you.