Monday, February 23, 2009

Well worth the wait!




Today is Derek and I's 13th anniversary. I can't believe it's been 13 years since we were married....it seems like yesterday. It was one of the most wonderful days of my entire life. One I will never forget. I feel so very blessed. Derek is the most amazing husband. I feel like the luckiest person in the world that he is mine. How grateful I am for the incredible parents that raised him and taught him the things he knows and the desire to always do good. Thank you Mom and Dad Larsen for giving me the most wonderful husband I could ever ask for.

Derek and I were both older when we got married. That was a hard time for me in my life. I wanted to get married and be a mom and it took a long time and a lot of dating until I found the one I was searching for. I'm so grateful I was picky and that some of the relationships just didn't work out because I couldn't think of anyone better fit for me than my sweet Derek. I have often looked back on those days of dating and the frustration that they created in my life. I have asked to myself was it worth the wait? And the answer is YES so worth the wait. It was so hard at the time but I wouldn't trade it for anything because I have the most wonderful and caring husband anyone could ask for. I think we appreciate each other more because we did have to wait. I remember thinking during those dating years that if I ever find a wonderful husband I will be grateful to my Heavenly Father everyday for him. I can say that has been true. I'm so grateful that I'm married and that we have been blessed with some amazing kids. There was a time I didn't even know if I would have a husband let alone kids so I do feel blessed. Derek was well worth the wait!!!!

This past year has not been the easiest year...probably the hardest one out of the 13 we have had. This past year my sweet husband has been the most amazing, supportive and understanding husband anyone could ask for. Yes, we have had our moments like every couple does but I feel our love has grown so much during this past year as we have had to lean on each other and support each other during such a trying time. Derek knows how to comfort me and how to make me feel better. He especially knows how to make me laugh even when it doesn't seem possible. He gives me the strength to continue on when all things seem impossible.


I'm so grateful that we were married in the temple 13 years ago because of that choice we will have Wyatt again and we will be together forever. What a wonderful and amazing truth that is. It gives me the hope each day to keep going and to not give up. The relationships we have in this life is about the only thing we get to take with us to the next. I'm so grateful that Derek and I can spend eternity together with all of our children.


I have wondered that past few days about the phrase "well worth the wait." I've compared those days of dating and longing to get married with the trial we are going through right now. I've thought about when I get to hold and be with Wyatt again. Will it be worth the wait? Right now it's hard to think that waiting as long as we have to wait will be worth it but I have to believe that once we have Wyatt again we will be able to say YES it was worth the wait. I couldn't say at the time of all the dating and drama I went through that it was worth waiting for the right guy but now I can. Now that I have the love of my life I can say it. I have to believe that once Wyatt is with us again it will be just like that. It will be one of the most amazing and wonderful times of our existence. Maybe because we will have to wait it will make it that much more amazing. I also think we will appreciate Wyatt that much more...probably more than I can even comprehend. The challenge now is trying to make it each and everyday when my heart and soul longs to be with him again. My heart continues to ache and I wonder if I can make it through the rest of this life without one of my children. When I have my moments of sorrow and grief I usually have a moment or two of gratitude for the wonderful husband I been blessed with along with the incredible kids I've been given. Each one in their own way touches my heart and I'm so grateful for them.

Happy Anniversary to my sweetheart!! I love you with ALL of my heart. You were well worth the wait! (And I can't wait for the day when I can tell Wyatt the same thing.)


Maui Fall 2008

Valentines 2009

16 comments:

Angela said...

Congratulations! What an amazing family you have. Your tribute to your husband is so sweet and heartfelt. Wyatt, I am sure is so excited to see you again...what wonderful tears those will be.
Congrats again on 13 years!
Angela
Evan from Heaven's mom)
ps Thanks for your words of support to me. I am grateful for others who "know."

Amanda Stevens said...

I remember your reception clear as day...probably seems odd that a stranger would have such a vivid memory. I walked into the church and it was like a dreamy royal reception. You had a fountain and pillars along with a lighted path outside. I told Scott that day that you were the most beautiful bride I had ever seen. After hearing so much about the faithful, athletic, spiritual, intelligent, fun friend Scott had developed it came at no surprise that you looked like a princess. Congrats on your anniversary, definitely a day to celebrate!

Eileen said...

What a beautiful post. As always.

But I thought I had the most wonderful husband! :) I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father has a hand in directing all of to our eternal companions. And I hope we all continue to seek his help EVERY day to keep our marriages strong.

Jill said...

I love you both! Happy Anniversary! Derek is a little goofy... don't worry, I'll give you a dollar later. ;) Love you guys!

Kacie said...

Im so sorry, I really have no business on your blog. I found it through Angela Larsons, and I just feel touched by you and your sweet family, and felt the need to say so. I so truly sorry for the loss you have had to go through. I can not even comprehend the pain you have felt. I have a 2 yeard old and a 8 month old. You are an amazing lady, and I look up to you so much. I could only hope that if I ever have to go through this hard of a trial that I could be like you. Thank goodness for the plan of salvation! My baby is REALLy sick right now and it just rips at my heart, are there signs for this? Families are Forever!!!

Marc and Megan said...

Happy 13th anniversary! You two make such a perfect match. I love the way you compared waiting for Derek to now waiting to be with Wyatt again... and how it will also be worth the wait. I find myself thinking of that often, and hoping so much that when our reunions come that it really will have been worth it. I just really hope that during the millenium there will still be chances for play-dates, so that my girls will have the chance to be friends with Wyatt. The longer and harder the wait, the greater the joy, right?

Teea Lamb said...

Happy Anniversary! :)

Jenna said...

You guys are so sweet. I want you to know I haven't forgotten about you and your family, and my prayers are continually with you. Wyatt is a doll, and you all are such a great family. He is one lucky little boy to have you guys as parents!

JJ said...

Happy Anniversary! You do have a wonderful family and a wonderful husband. I am sure Wyatt is watching in awe at all you two do. You both are incredible! Love you!
Jess

Natalie said...

You guys are an amazing couple. Happy Anniversary. Love you both!

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary Li'l Ann!! I'm so glad I knew you back then when you were so giddy and in love! It seems like just yesterday that I came to your reception! And you are as beautiful today as you were that day!! I love reading your posts! It really is so inspiring! And you are an amazingly strong person!!.....p.s. I just found a bunch of pics from our trip to St. George years and years ago! Good times!

Nicole said...

Hey Andrea, it's Nicole from the spa. I have spent most of my morning looking at and reading your blog(hope you don't mind)and just wanted to say thanks so much for sharing your story last night. Your little Wyatt is so precious, I can't even look at him without tears coming. I woke up feeling grateful today with a desire to cherish the little things...thank you!!!

Jake and Heidi said...

I just wanted you to know that whenever I visit our blog I get a HUGE sense of PEACE. there isn't a day that I don't feel the spirit when I am looking at your sweet little family and your sweet little Wyatt. God Bless your family. :)

JJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

Thanks for your post Andrea!! It is really what I needed to hear! I'm glad to hear it's worth the wait! I love you!

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.