Friday, July 25, 2008

"Cherished"



When we found out that Wyatt wasn't going to make it a social worker came to talk with us about some things regarding our other children. Since we had never been through anything like this before we really didn't know what to do to help them. She suggested that we let them be involved with everything they felt comfortable with. So we did just that. Tyler and Emily helped us plan the funeral, picked out his casket, picked the programs and helped dress him. They only helped with what they wanted to do. I was amazed at their strength and willingness to do all of these things. Each one of us picked out one of Wyatt's favorite toys to place in his casket with him.


One of the things the social worker at Primary Children's suggested was to let the kids help make molds of Wyatt's feet and hand. Before they said goodbye to their little brother we had them help make these molds. Emily helped wash Wyatt's feet and Tyler helped put his feet into the plaster. Hayley helped a little too. I'm so grateful to Primary Children's for allowing us to do that.

We decided we wanted to get them bronzed so they would last and not break. This week we are in Orem and the bronzed hand and feet were completed. They turned out perfect. I love all the detail you can see in them. It's almost like having his feet and hands again. The details of his toes, toenails, fingers and wrinkles are so precious to me. I've always loved babies hands and feet. I enjoyed Wyatt's little fingers and toes each night as I gave him is bath. I also loved playing with them during the day. Oh, how I miss every part of him! I tried to take a picture in my mind of every little thing about him before he died but that picture is slowly fading. I'm glad I have these to help bring that picture back into my mind. Thank you Mom and Dad for doing this for us. They will be cherished throughout our life's.

10 comments:

Elyse said...

Andrea, that is wonderful that you have those to remember Wyatt by! What a great gift! That is a neat thing to do. I'm sure you'll always be grateful to have those sweet little feet to look at.

Amanda and Larry said...

wow those look so good! I am so glad they turned out so well. they are really neat.

Jill said...

Wow! They look amazing! I love the bronze. I'm so glad you and the kids were able to do that. What a precious memory!

Jenna said...

Andrea that is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. I love that your kids helped out with that, it seems so special and so sweet. I am sure they miss him so much too, so I am praying for all of you. I am so glad you were able to get that gift from your parents. Keep your chins up, we are rooting for you all! Much Love

jvance said...

Andrea,
I forgot to mention to you what John said when he looked at Wyatt's little hand. He said, "Look, Wyatt is signing in sign language 'I love you' with his hand. If you look closely, he is doing just that, but in a very subtle way - I think maybe so that it could be noticed a few months after they were cast - another tender mercy! Even after all the times we looked at this, now it takes on another meaning for us!

Natalie said...

Wow, that is neat that he is telling you he loves you and he will everyday with his little hand! I have loved hanging out with you this week and I'm so grateful to you for being such an awesome friend and aunt. Love you!

Eileen said...

Andrea, Robyn's sister Eileen here. I check in on your blog now and then and I just want to reach out and give you a hug. Your words are so sweet and tender. I'm sure this is very theraputic for you, but think of the treasure this will be for your living children in years to come. Also, a help and comfort to others in a similar situation as you. I love the bronze fingers and piggys!
Much love.

Gillian said...

What an amazing gift! I'm so glad you have that. I guess that is one major benefit of being at Primary Children's. Wyatt's sweet little hand and feet are forever preserved. I know how much this must mean to you.

♥ Michele ♥ said...

You don't know me but our husbands know each other. Your husband has worked on a home we built in St. George. I had a baby on 3-20-08 with a heart defect and heard about what happened to your baby while we were at Primary Childrens. I was so saddened to hear of your loss. I remembered meeting your husband and thought he was a really nice guy. We almost lost our baby and had the plasters of her hands and feet made as well. We searched all over for someone to bronze them. Do you mind sharing where you had that done? We are still interested in doing that with our molds. I can feel the pain coming through the words in your blog and pray that someday this will get a little easier for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Michele Gledhill
www.thegledhillfamily.blogspot.com

Neener said...

Your blog layout is lovely and so is the music. I have wondered about making my childs hands bronzed, I am so afraid of them breaking. I had no idea the hospital did that for all of you. I was in tears when they suggested it to us. Such a blessing to have their little hands still around to see and remember.... What a special gift. Hope you enjoyed your trip, I love the photos. See you next week.