Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tulips

I have a dear friend that has inspired me in so many ways. A little over 10 years ago she was the one that introduced me to "No Empty Chairs" and the quote from President Benson. She is such an amazing mother of 8 kids. I truly don't know how she does all she does. She has been such an inspiration to me through the years.

Last week I read one of her posts on her blog about Tulips. She had splurged at the store and bought some Tulips for $5. She had taken pictures of them and expressed the joy they had brought into her life. She said quote:
"Sometimes we need beauty as much as food to remain truly alive. Flowers really
are food for my soul."
Wow! What a beautiful statement. As I read it, it truly touched me. That's when I decided I needed that kind of food. Especially, as my soul has been aching with the memories of 2 years ago when Wyatt took his last breath. I decided I needed my own Tulips. I was determined to have my own little splurge.

I at times can be too practical. I've gone past the flower section at the store and longed to buy some flowers but never have bought them because it costs money and it's not practical... they will just die. Well after reading her post I decided I was going to splurge and I was going to buy my own tulips. I was going to let these flowers feed my soul. I saw these pink ones and grabbed them. To my surprise they were 50% off so I only had to splurge $2.50. I have to say that $2.50 splurge has been well worth it. These flowers have brought such joy and happiness in my home and life this week. I've LOVED taking pictures of them and simply just enjoying their beauty. It has brought a certain spirit into my life as well. They truly have fed my soul. I remember as a child when spring was approaching seeing the tulips coming through the snow and getting that excited feeling inside that yes winter was about over and spring was to come...my favorite time of the year next to summer. These tulips reminded me of those feelings. They have been a wonderful addition to my week this week. I love flowers and am going to make a more conscious effort in bringing them into my life so that they can continue to feed my soul. Thank you Jennifer for the inspiration and for all the other inspired things you have brought into my life.

Here are just a few of the pictures I took this week....I'm sure I will be taking more until they are gone.



Simply beautiful!





I came across this quote a few weeks ago and have added it to Wyatt's part on the magnet board. I don't feel like I came across this quote by accident. This is something that I'm going to have to figure out the rest of my life as my arms and heart ache for Wyatt. I've had the mindset of just enduring the rest of my life but I know that is not right...I've got to learn to enjoy it. Some days that is not possible as the grief hits and things continue to not go the way I would like but I know I will learn how to laugh more and enjoy things more. I'm finding more and more days where I'm enjoying those things I loved before Wyatt died. Enjoying the simple things of life.....just like flowers. They truly can feed the soul if you will let them.



4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I had once heard a story about a person that had visited the spirit world. She described the flowers there. She was amazed how each stem carried multiple amounts of blooms (10 times what we'd even imagine here on earth).

The best part of the story was that when she walked by the flowers, she could hear them communicating to her "Have we filled our measure of creation? Have we made you happy? Have we witnessed of our creator?"

There's a really cool scripture that I think of when I hear things like this (and read posts like yours today):

Doctrine and Covenants 128:23: “Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! … Let the woods and all the trees of the field praise the Lord; and ye solid rocks weep for joy! And let the sun, moon, and the morning stars sing together, and let all the sons of God shout for joy! And let the eternal creations declare his name forever and ever!”

Andrea, you might love this talk:
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=0d9a092480e6c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD.

LDS.org, the article is titled "Let the Mountains Shout For Joy".

Love you!
-Suzanne

Suzanne said...

OOOOPS! That wasn't the article I was looking for! Don't click on the link, lol! I read the top piece, and realized it was pictures of art and not the article about Heavenly Father's creations. Sorry!

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Thank you for this post. I love the tulips, it is such a great idea.

I also enjoyed reading your last post. He was such a cute little guy. Seeing your pictures of his funeral reminds me of my son's. I don't think I have ever shared those pictures with anyone yet. Maybe I should, because they really are beautiful.

Hopeful Homemaker said...

Andrea, your pictures are wonderful. You are really talented with your camera. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post on tulips; I love yours! You are amazing. xo