Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Live in the Moment


I LOVE this quote...

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”

I love what this mother had to say. It's so true and for me sometimes such a hard thing to do. I like having things done, which is good but I need to make sure I'm taking those moments during the day to enjoy my kids and what they are doing or saying.

I saw this idea of putting the words onto a picture and framing it. I knew I needed to make one. I made this picture tonight and I'm going to frame it and put it on my nightstand to remind me each morning what's most important in life. "Live in the moment...treasure the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." A great reminder to start each day with. If you want to know how to make a picture like this click here. Yet another fun and crafty idea from another amazing blogger.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so so so so so gonna do that.

thanks.

xoxoxo

Jess

Jennifer Harrison said...

I still remember the first time I read that quote and how it made me feel. There's a lot to think about, isn't there? Appreciating the now, remembering the past, working toward the future. But all we have is what's in front of us. I love the reminder you created. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

OK, stranger things have happened, but I had a hunch you had a blog so I googled you, interested in your story. A Hilary Week's site came up that had a comment from you, I clicked on your name and, well, here we are. I've spent a while reading and now we're friends, like it or not! :) I already think you're amazing. Amazingly strong, amazingly creative.