Saturday, March 14, 2009

Angel Day

Wyatt's grave...thank you everyone that have put things on it.
We survived our first angel day and it turned out to be a very sweet and special one. The peace was there and we felt such love from so many wonderful people in our lives. Thank you to each and everyone that sent prayers and support our way. Thanks for all the sweet comments left on the blog. And thanks for the cards in the mail. All of it has been such a tender mercy for our family. Thanks to those of you that put things on Wyatt's grave..oh, that means so much to me.

We woke up and looked out into our front yard and someone had put paper butterflies covering our entire front yard. It brought tears to my eyes. Oh, I can't tell you how much that meant to me to see. So, whoever did that for us THANK YOU. They were each cut out individually. I can't even imagine how much time that must have taken so thank you sooooo much! What a sweet tender mercy for our family. I'm so grateful for so many that showered us with love and support yesterday.
The kids went to school and my parents tended Hayley so Derek and I could go to the temple. While we were at the temple my parents planted our pots in the backyard for us. Thank you mom and dad...we love them!

The temple was one of the greatest mercies for me of the day. We did sealings. When we entered the sealing room there was already another couple in there. When it was our turn the sealer said "this couple is here celebrating their 10th anniversary are you here celebrating something?" Derek and I both hesitated and I looked at Derek and wondered if we should tell him because I guess the word "celebrating" took me off guard. But I felt like we needed to so I said "um...yes, we are here because a year ago today our little boy passed away." I'm sure that was not at all what the sealer was expecting..he said "well then we will all be very close today". We did many sealings and as always I held back the tears as much as possible as I would listen to the wonderful blessings promised there...those promises that give me so much hope. At the end the sealer then asked us if we didn't mind sharing what happened a year ago. I then told him the short version of Wyatt's last week here on earth. There was not a dry face in the room..even my sweet husband teared up which he hasn't done since Wyatt died. The sealer was very touched and it was such a tender mercy for me to be able to share our Wyatt with these people we didn't know and to have them show such tenderness towards us. The other couple were both in tears and after, the husband told us that he had lost his brother to a drowning many years ago. It was such a special moment where the spirit was very strong...at least for me. I'm so very grateful for the temple and all the wonderful blessings it can give us. I'm always so grateful for the chance to share my Wyatt with whomever will listen. So, that was a tender mercy I will be forever grateful for.

We then went home to put a few things on Wyatt's grave before the kids got home from school. On our way home though we stopped at Home Depot to get some wire so we could wire stuff at his grave. As we entered Home depot I noticed the weeping cherry trees. We had a weeping cherry tree at our house in Orem and I loved it. I told Derek how much I missed having that tree. Then the thought came to me that we should get one and plant it in our backyard in memory of Wyatt. I loved the name of the tree "weeping" because I've spent a lot of time doing that this year and I felt like that was very symbolic of us making it through our first year without our sweet little guy. So we bought a weeping cherry tree that we planted today next to the rose bushes my parents bought us when Wyatt was born.


Once the kids got home from school we went to Wyatt's grave. We had blown up balloons and had the kids write on them. I felt like that was a good thing on his birthday to let them express how they were feeling so I decided last minute to do it again. We then released them at Wyatt's grave. Then we released the 5 butterflies that we watched from being a caterpillar to a chrysalis to a butterfly. What an amazing process we got to experience. The butterfly release was even neater than I had expected. There was one butterfly that was bigger then the others and I felt like it was the prettiest. Well, that one didn't fly away. It stayed around and let each of us hold it. After each of us held it, it then would fly a little ways and the girls would catch it again. This went on for a long time. There was one moment when Emily was holding it and it flew right at me and around me...pretty much attacked me. Oh, I just had to think that Wyatt had something to do with this. As I watched the girls running and laughing in the cemetery (of all places) enjoying this butterfly it did my heart good. It was a really neat experience for our family and what a tender mercy! That butterfly eventually flew off and we didn't see it again.

All in all it was a very peaceful day. I'm sure it was because of the many prayers offered in our behalf. Thank you to each and everyone that remembered us on this anniversary... I never thought we would ever have. Thanks for all the love and concern that was given to us. We feel very blessed with all the wonderful and amazing people in our lives. Here are some pictures from our day yesterday. I obviously like taking pictures so there are a ton.

Our first "Wyatt moment" of the day.

The pots in our back yard.




The butterfly farm.
Releasing the butterflies.Four of the butterflies with their wings out. The whole time they were in our house I wanted to see them with all their wings out...this was neat for me. It happened right before we released them. The girls chasing the butterfly.
The pretty blossoms at the cemetery.
A plant from the Relief Society Presidency




Gerber Daisies(my favorite flower) from my kindred spirit...Jen.

Our "Weeping"Cherry Tree

12 comments:

plaidspolitics said...

Wow! You are truly loved, and it sounds like the day was very special. I like how the balloons were printed, and never knew you could do something like that. It was neat how you had the butterflies and were able to nurture them to that state and then release them. I love the quote: "The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough." ~R.Tagore

Robyn said...

What a beautiful day! I'm so happy for you. I wish I could have been there. I am so thankful for all of the special things that happened on Friday. You are so special and loved by so many people! Much love!

Marc and Megan said...

Andrea, it was so wonderful to talk to you today! I'm so relieved that your day was filled with so many beautiful moments. I love all the photos you've shared - they really capture the beautiful moments of your day. You are an incredible person and friend... I feel so blessed to know you. I hope you'll continue to feel loved and comforted in the coming days. love you lots!

Jill said...

What a neat day!!!! I'm so glad you and your family had such neat experiences. I'm glad you felt the prayers and the support of people who love and look up to you. I can't help but giggle a little when I hear that butterflies attack you now. :) Wyatt loves his mommy and wants you to know it! I love the weeping tree. I love all of the butterfly pictures. I love the temple experience you shared. How neat Andrea! I love you alot and hope that you feel continued prayers and strength in the days ahead. I'm hear if you need to talk as always. Love!

Julie said...

Wow! Once again, I am completely overwhelmed! You have so many people who love you and whose lives you have touched in some way. I love the butterflies on your lawn. What a beautiful thing! It sounds like it was a perfect day!! I will forever see butterflies in a different way! And always think of sweet Wyatt!!
I love you!

jel-gar said...

I am so grateful the day was as beautiful as it was. What beautiful experiences you're family had that day. I know that Wyatt was right there through them all. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Janelle

Natalie said...

I'm glad you had comfort that day. What a neat thing to do as a family. I'm sure you kids loved watching the butterflies grow. And wow, what a cool experience to have in the temple. It brought tears to my eyes, I can feel the spirit when I read your blog. I love it and I love you so much. I hope you have comfort and strength for the days ahead. You are such an amazing example to me.

Gedge's said...

I am so glad that you were able to go to the Temple on your Angel Day. How neat to know that you were that much closer to your little Wyatt. And the butterflies! Somebody sure went to a lot of work- It turned out CUTE! You are being so strong!
Love,
Julie
Taylor's mom

Katie said...

I came across your blog on Feedjit and just felt I needed to say something. I don't know you, your family or friends, but I was touched by your post. I can't even begin to imagine what you and your family has endured, but God Bless you all and your beautiful little boy. I know you'll be with him again one day. Peace be with you all.

And the butterflies are beautiful.

Neener said...

The butterflies are so beautiful... all of them. Andrea, I think of you often. The Temple was a wonderful experience on Friday, actually I have been waiting a while for that. You are such a beautiful person and I am so glad to know you.
Keep taking care of yourself and your beautiful family.
Love ya lots.

Sarah said...

I also do not know you but have found your blog. We live in the same area. Your hardest day happens to be my birthday. This year I went out and bought a butterfly decoration you put in your garden area...probably from the same Home Depot. My children asked me why I wanted it and Wyatt was the answer. You have motivated me, like others, to treasure everyday and now I have a butterfly out my window to do just that. His life may have been short but it is touching many lives. Thank you for sharing your story and your son with us!

Suzanne said...

You have the best posts! Gerbers are my favorite flower Tim gives me. Orchids are my favorite potted plant.

This is from rebeccaphoebe.blogspot.com:

"I found this on a blog from someone who just lost their sweet daughter. For me, these words sum up how I feel. It's to the tune of "I am a Child of God".

I am a child of God and He has called me home.
My earthly journey's through but still, I do not walk alone.
He leads me, guides me, walks beside me, helps me find the way.
He welcomed me with open arms. I live with Him today.


I am a child of God and I have gone ahead.
My earthly life was brief but oh, such peace and love you gave.
You loved me, held me, stood beside me and though I cannot stay.
You gave me much to help me and I live with Him today.


I am a child of God and I will wait for you.
Celestial glory shall be ours, if you can but endure.
I'll lead you, guide you, walk beside you.
Help you find the way.
I'll welcome you with open arms
One bright Celestial day.


--Donna Kulliard"