Thursday, December 9, 2010

25 bags


I love surprising my kids. The other night after our nightly ritual of reading a Christmas book and prayer I said "go get in the car" instead of the usual "go get in bed." The look on their faces was priceless. They said "are you serious mom?" Yes, I am. So, we went and enjoyed the Christmas lights around our neighborhood. Love the house that has put their lights to music. It's like a firework show. LOVE IT!!

I started something new this year and I'm recording it here so I remember it for next year. I found this idea on the internet and thought I would give it a try. It's the count down to Christmas bags. You are suppose to open one bag a day until Christmas but since our life can be extra crazy on certain days, I decided that we will do the bags when we can and if it means we do 3 on a day that is fine. Most of them are things we already do at Christmas time like watch a movie together or make cookies but this has but a fun twist on it and I think the kids have enjoyed it. I decided to wait to put the bag together right before I give it to the kids so that it fits with the moment and time frame we have. I printed up all the ideas and bought the items for certain activities and just quickly slip them into the bag. Some of the things we have already done are making these cookies together.
They were delish!! We ended up taking some to a few friends.
Decorating a gingerbread house that our home teacher gave to Hayley for her birthday.
That was lots of fun. We also went and decorated Wyatt's grave with Christmas decorations. That is always a hard reality check. Wish so badly we were not doing that and that he was here with us enjoying all the things we do at this time of year. Wish we were thinking of what to get our 3 year old. Again reality is hard sometimes. Forgot my camera to take a picture but his grave is very decorated!


We have watched one of our favorite movies "The Muppet Christmas story." Such a fun movie! Some days it's just a small little treat or dinner by candle light with our Christmas drink. Just little things to create some memorable moments as a family. For me it has to be simple or it won't get done. The tags were on the internet and I just had to print them up and cut them out. Then I brainstormed for a minute and printed up the different activities. At the end of the season we will see if this is something the kids want to continue for next year or not. I think so far it's been a hit. They have asked each day when they can open a bag. Thought I would share this idea in case someone else out there wants to try it out. Click here for the 25 cards to print up. :) I also decided if we didn't get to all 25 things then that's ok. At least we have tried and have done some fun things together.

No comments: